The UM7 is a 3rd-generation Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS) that takes advantage of state-of-the-art MEMS technology to improve performance and reduce costs. Like its predecessors, the UM7 combines triaxial accelerometer, rate gyro, and magnetometer data using a sophisticated Extended Kalman Filter to produce attitude and heading estimates. The UM7-LT is equivalent to the UM7, except that it does not include an enclosure and factory calibration is not available.
The UM7 also adds many new features, including higher gyro bias stability and lower noise, a new communication architecture for improved flexibility, optional NMEA packet transmission, UTC time-synchronization with external GPS, and support for third-order temperature compensation on all sensors.
Even with its added features, the UM7 is offered at a significantly reduced priced compared to other sensors in its class.
The UM7 comes with one 5-pin cable assembly for the main IO header. Extra 5-pin cable assemblies and 6-pin assemblies for the optional IO expansion headers are also available.
- Excellent gyro bias stability over temperature
- Adjustable low-pass filter and EKF settings provide customisable performance for various applications.
- States and sensor data synchronised to GPS position and velocity using optional external GPS module.
- Supports alignment calibration and third-order bias and scale factor temperature compensation for accels, gyros, and magnetometer (optionally performed in-factory or by the end-user).
- Magnetometer soft and hard-iron calibration
- State-of-the-art MEMS devices designed for mass-market consumer applications drastically lowers cost
- OEM version reduces overall cost, size, and weight
Ease of use
- Transmits data using human-readable NMEA strings, binary packets for higher efficiency, or a combination of both
- Flexible communication architecture allows UM7 to transmit any combination of data at individually adjustable rates
- Connects to the Serial Interface software to allow for real-time plotting of sensor data, logging, device configuration, and magnetometer calibration
Attitude and Heading Specifications
- EKF estimation rate: 500 Hz
- +/- 2 degree typical static pitch/roll accuracy
- +/- 4 degree typical dynamic pitch/roll accuracy
- +/- 5 degree typical static yaw accuracy
- +/- 8 degree typical dynamic yaw accuracy
- 0.5 degree angle repeatability
- 0.01 degree angular resolution
- Input voltage: 5.0V
- Communication: 3.3V TTL UART, SPI bus
- Supported baud rates: 9600, 14400, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 128000, 153600, 230400, 256000, 460800, 921600
- Power consumption: 50mA at 5.0V
- Operating temperature: -40 to +85 C
- Dimensions: 1.06″ x 1.02″ x 0.26″ (27mm x 26mm x 6.5mm)
- Weight: 0.4 oz. (11 grams)
- Data outputs rates: 1 Hz to 255 Hz (binary packets), 1 Hz to 100 Hz (NMEA packets)
- Output data: Attitude and heading (Euler Angles), Attitude quaternion, GPS altitude, position, velocity (w/ external GPS), magnetometer, accelerometer, gyro data